Be careful with outlets and power cords! Situations where cats are prone to electric shock and countermeasures

If you have a cat, I'm sure many of you have witnessed your cat playing with a power cord or outlet.

Even if you tell them, "You can't do it!", they won't stop...

However, if you play with power cords or outlets, you may get an electric shock, so you need to take proper measures.

In this article, we will tell you about situations where cats are prone to electric shocks and how to prevent them.

If you haven't taken measures around the power supply yet, please read it.

Cats often chew cords

Cats are animals that love cords and strings.

It is said that it resembles a snake and is associated with the tail of a mouse.

Especially kittens play a lot and there are many dangerous scenes.

Many children have the habit of chewing on anything when their teeth are changing around the age of six months.

However, as you all know, there is a risk of electric shock if they chew on cords, so it is necessary to stop them.

Also, pay attention to electrical outlets.

If you touch an outlet when your paws and body are wet, a large amount of current may flow through your body compared to when your body is dry.

What are the symptoms of being electrocuted?

If your cat gnaws on a cord and gets an electric shock, you will see burns in and around its mouth.

The mouth and lips may be swollen and may bleed.

Muscle spasms and arrhythmia may occur...

Electric shock can also damage the small blood vessels in the lungs, resulting in pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs).

Speaking of pulmonary edema, you may have an image of a child with a bad heart, but pulmonary edema that occurs during an electric shock is called "neurogenic pulmonary edema", and it is a strain of the sympathetic nervous system. It is said that catecholamines (hormones that change hemodynamics) are excessively secreted due to hyperactivity and damage to the central nervous system.

Pulmonary edema not only makes it difficult to breathe, it can also cause the heart to stop and die.

What should I do if I suspect my cat has been electrocuted?

If your cat is lying near an outlet, or if it behaves strangely after chewing on a cord, it may have been electrocuted.

If you suspect an electric shock, turn off the power first (unplug the power cord).

Then move your cat to a safe position, but never touch it with your bare hands.

If you touch the cat, you may get an electric shock yourself.

Also, if your cat is incontinent due to the shock of an electric shock, you may get an electric shock even if you touch urine.

Therefore, handle it with insulating objects such as dry boards, plastic products, and rubber gloves.

If you suspect that your cat has been electrocuted, symptoms may not appear immediately, and trouble may occur with a time lag.

No matter what the situation is, don't hesitate to visit a veterinarian.

At the veterinary hospital, depending on the condition of the case, oxygen administration, transfusion, wound management, etc. are performed.

Measures for power cords and outlets

It's too late after you get an electric shock, so take precautions in advance. Here are 6 ways you can do it.

① Hide code

Cats go crazy for hanging cords.

Let's cover the cord along the wall.

It is a good idea to store the cords used in the kotatsu and hot carpet under the rug.

(2) Add unpleasant smells to cords

It's also nice to put on a cord cover that has a bitter taste when chewed.

Cats don't like citrus smells, so you might want to use one of those sprays.

However, it may not work, so try it first.

③ Organize the code

You can bundle cords with zip ties or buy cases that can neatly store long cords, so make the most of them.

④ Put a cover on the outlet

Install outlet covers on outlets.

When installing, be careful not to accidentally eat small objects such as screws.

⑤ Remove the code frequently

It is also important to try to unplug electrical appliances when they are not in use.

In particular, smartphone chargers are often left plugged in, so unplug them and put them away after each use.

It may be a good idea to use an electric tap that can cut the current by turning the switch on and off.

By unplugging the cord frequently, you can also save electricity bills.

⑥ Regularly check for deterioration

Check regularly for deterioration or damage to outlets and cords.

If there is any abnormality, replace it immediately.

Getting used to the cage is also important!

One way to do this is to keep them in a cage when the owner is away.

Kittens are more likely to be bitten by cords, so start crate training from a young age.

Being able to spend time in a cage or crate can prevent accidents such as accidental ingestion and falls.

Also, it will be a place where you can spend time with peace of mind, so you will be good at answering.

You can also take it with you when you go out

It will also be a distraction for your cat! Carry case is recommended in such a case♪

[Summary] Be careful with power cords and outlets! Situations where cats are prone to electric shock and what countermeasures are there?

Cats are animals that love string-shaped things such as power cords.

Therefore, you may get an electric shock by biting or playing with it.

Electric shock can cause not only burns, but also life-threatening conditions such as arrhythmia and pulmonary edema.

Chewing on cords is common in kittens, but adult cats, and even children who have never shown any interest before, can suddenly start chewing.

Let's find out what is dangerous in advance and take measures from today.

Reference material

  • Hajime Tsujimoto, Shuichi Koyama, Kiyoshi Okusa, Atsushi Nakamura, Treatment guide for cats 2020, p5-p8